Bourgoin, Plate 48
(Click on image for high-quality PDF version)
One of the commonest of all Islamic patterns, throughout Islam from Spain, Morocco to India. Appears to occur in 8 places in Fatehpur Sikri.
- The symmetry group of the tiling is *442 (p4m).
- All the internal angles of the constituent polygons are a multiple of 22.5°.
- Contains one regular octagon.
- Contains one regular 8-pointed star polygon with vertex angle of 90°.
- There are three non-regular reflective tiles (including one kite).
- The tiling satisfies the interlace condition and has no finite interlace and one infinite interlace with straight cross-overs.
- The tiling is edge-to-edge.
- As drawn, contains about 257 polygons.
- Page 287, Fig 173a (Friday Mosque, Sin, Iran) from [bonner] (1134AD, 528AH)
- Page 76 (The Tomb of Jalal al-Din Hussein, Central Asia) from [broug] (1152AD, 546AH)
- Figure 20 (Mosque of 'Ala ad-Din, Konya, Turkey. Minbar) from [aslanapa] (1155AD, 549AH)
- Fig 6 (c) (Mu’mina Khatun, Nakhchivan, Azerbaijan) from [cromwell4] (1186AD, 581AH)
- Fig 9 (a) (Gulustan Mausoleum, Nakhchivan, Azerbaijan, Central Asia) from [cromwell4] (1200AD, 596AH)
- Figure 517 (Zahiriyah Madrasah, Aleppo, Syria) from [hill] (1223AD, 619AH)
- Photo by David Wade: TUR 0826 (Mosque of Ala al-Din Kayqubad, Nigde, Turkey) from [wadei] (1223AD, 619AH)
- Photo by David Wade: EGY 1109 (Qalawun, Cairo, Egypt) from [wadei] (1279AD, 677AH)
- Figure 51 (Qalawun, Cairo, Egypt. Pierced windows) from [hill2] (1283-4AD, 681-2AH)
- Figure 50 (al-Abbar, Cairo, Egypt. Pierced windows round drum of dome) from [hill] (1284-5AD, 682-3AH)
- Vol 2, page 23 (Taybars, Cairo, Egypt) from [wahhab] (1309AD, 708AH)
- Photo by David Wade: IRA 2637 (Oljaito's mausoleum, Sultaniyeh, Iran) from [wadei] (1313AD, 712AH)
- Figure 456 (Sunghur Bey mosque, Nigde, Turkey. Carved wooden door) from [hill] (1338AD, 738AH)
- Plate 28 and 30 (Koran 98 vol 1f. 178r, National Library, Egypt) from [wilson] (15th century AD)
- Figure 209 (Great Mosque, Aksaray, Turkey. Minbar) from [aslanapa] (1431AD, 834AH)
- Plate 43 (Fatehpur Sikri, India) from [burckhardt] (1565-1605AD, 972-1014AH)
- Part I, Plate LXXIV (Fatehpur Sikri, Friday Mosque, India) from [smith2] (1648AD, 1058AH)
- Page 282 (Amir Hassan ibn Amir Muhammad, Cairo, Egypt. minbar) from [okane2] (1704-7AD, 1116-9AH)
- Page 284 (al-Qana'i, Fuwwa, Egypt. minbar) from [okane2] (1720AD, 1132AH)
- Page 333 (Hidaya al-Islami, Rosetta, Egypt. minbar) from [okane2] (1985AD, 1406AH)
- Fig 17.1 from [ww]
- Figure 35a from [elsaid]
- Page 136 from [wade]
- Page 25 (Ahi Serafettin mosque, Ankara, Turkey. Minbar, left side) from [schneider]
- Page 30 (Great Mosque of Kairouan, Tunisia) from [broug]
- Photo 222, from Internet source (shaik al-burdani mosque, mihrab mosaics, with colour) from [d-avennes]
- Photo by David Wade: EGY 0925 (al-Ghuri, Cairo, Egypt) from [wadei]
- Photo by David Wade: SYR 0502/0505 (Great Mosque, Aleppo, Syria) from [wadei]
- Plate 48 from [bourgoin]
- Vol2, page 230, Figure 240 (Great Mosque, Mosul, Iraq. Minaret) from [sarre]
Collections of similar tilings