Alhambra, Sala de las dos Hermanas
(Click on image for high-quality PDF version)
Occurs on arch jambs at entrances to east and west side chambers of the Sala de las Dos Hermanas. Colours of the graphic are approximately correct, but originals have alternating green and honey-brown 8-rosettes. A similar mosaic remains on the floor between the arch jambs at the entrance to the Mirador de Lindaraja. This is now much worn away, and little of the original colour is left.
- Gold star pattern(photo).
Dynamic build of this pattern.
- The symmetry group of the tiling is *442 (p4m).
- All the internal angles of the constituent polygons are a multiple of 22.5°.
- Contains two squares.
- Contains three regular 8-pointed star polygons with vertex angle of 90°.
- Contains one regular 16-pointed star polygon with vertex angle of 45°.
- There are 8 non-regular reflective tiles.
- The tiling satisfies the interlace condition and has two finite interlaces and no infinite interlace.
- The tiling is edge-to-edge.
- As drawn, contains about 581 polygons.
- Vol 2, page 285 (Detail of door, Royal Palace, Fez, Morocco) from [paccard]
- Vol 2, page 288 (Detail of door, Royal Palace, Marrakesh, Morocco) from [paccard]
- Vol 2, page 398 (Marrakesh, Dar Beida, ceiling panel, Morocco) from [paccard]
- Plate 3 (c) (West wall in The Hall of the Two Sisters, Spain) from [abas]
- Page 41 and 53 (The colours from photo but preserving symmetry, Spain) from [escher]
Collections of similar tilings