Alhambra, Sala del Mexuar
(Click on image for high-quality PDF version)
Revised: Symbolic metrics, v19
The pattern concerned is part of a large ceramic mosaic dado occupying the whole of the north wall of the Sala del Mexuar each side of the entrance to the Mexuar Oratory, and the northernmost parts of the east and west walls. Continuity is interrupted on the west wall by the most northerly window opening on to the Machuca garden, and on the east wall by the exit to the Mexuar Patio.
- Gold star pattern(photo).
Dynamic build of this pattern.
- The symmetry group of the tiling is *442 (p4m).
- All the internal angles of the constituent polygons are a multiple of 22.5°.
- Contains three regular 8-pointed star polygons with vertex angle of 90°.
- Contains one regular 16-pointed star polygon with vertex angle of 45°.
- There are 8 non-regular reflective tiles.
- The tiling satisfies the interlace condition and has no finite interlace and two infinite interlaces.
- The tiling is edge-to-edge.
- As drawn, contains about 397 polygons.
- Page 41 (North end of Sala del Mexuar, Spain) from [escher]
- Vol 2, page 285 (Detail of door, Royal Palace, Fez, Morocco) from [paccard]
- Vol 2, page 288 (Detail of door, Royal Palace, Marrakesh, Morocco) from [paccard]
- Vol 2, page 398 (Marrakesh, Dar Beida, ceiling panel, Morocco) from [paccard]
- Figure 1.7, page 20 from [abas]
Collections of similar tilings